Sensible Otiluke's Resilient Sphere

A collection of tweaks, cheats and common sense changes.
TheDraikenWeare

Sensible Otiluke's Resilient Sphere

Post by TheDraikenWeare »

Hello @Magus

Just created this because I really Love your Mod and practically use it in every install of BG Games even on my phone.

Though one Thing I thought was a genius concept but now I see it wasn't as implented as I thought was your Otiluke's Resilient Sphere Concept.

I thought it was stopping from cast spells externally but I found it just blocks movement , turning Otiluke's Resilient Sphere to Otiluke's Invincibility Spheres 😅

I was always casting inside, based on what you described in the readup but then I pressed outside accidently and my spell went flying.
I even thought it was like a bug for a new mod I added, but realised it was how the mod component was behaving even on a brand new install.

I don't know anything about modding or coding , just really how to read files .
So I checked the components.tpa by turning it into text and it said "Parameter 0 // Blind".
I don't know if its supposed to look like that.

Though having blind as an effect for the sphere would be smart if that is what you were going for to limit casting spells externally.

But some Ideas and points I thought about was that even if thats it , there are some spells a player would cast and still would leave the Sphere, going against the description.

So if this is possible (i don't know if this will work,it's just a thought I honestly had) , instead of that , why not have the following effects:

Disable QuickSlot Items
Blindness
Entangle Like Hold (I don't know if that's the codded hold different from normal hold)
Miscast magic 100%

I think this would be better , you might not be able to still cast spells internally, but a player could still drink potions and buff up.
Also it would make it really more viable on enemies with like the -4 save vs spell, on enemy spell casters as they would beable to do the same , buff up (probably with Ai mods maybe) but would be undamagble for the players team.

Would really spice up fights.
Magus
Site Admin

Re: Sensible Otiluke's Resilient Sphere

Post by Magus »

TheDraikenWeare wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:51 am
I was always casting inside, based on what you described in the readup but then I pressed outside accidently and my spell went flying.
I even thought it was like a bug for a new mod I added, but realised it was how the mod component was behaving even on a brand new install.
I can't reproduce, so you'll have to provide more details.
Internally, this is achieved by setting the visual range to 0 (which is not equivalent to blindness), so the character can't cast on what he can't see.
TheDraikenWeare wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:51 am Disable QuickSlot Items
Blindness
Entangle Like Hold (I don't know if that's the codded hold different from normal hold)
Miscast magic 100%
Like some other tweaks, this component is based on the assumption that the player doesn't want to abuse it.
For example, you could self-fireball in the sphere, and presumably it'll hit all the nearby enemies. It's not something that you can do accidentally, though, and there's no easy way (or more likely, no way at all) to close that possibility without disabling all spellcasting, which largely defeats the purpose of the component. So I accept it as a good tradeoff.
Please do not PM or email me about my mods and projects. Use forums. Also, see our talk channels.
TheDraikenWeare

I can't reproduce, so you'll have to provide more details.
Internally, this is achieved by setting the visual range to 0 (which is not equivalent to blindness), so the character can't cast on what he can't see.

@Magus I've linked my weidu.log if that will help.
Really want to know what could I have done wrong honestly, or is it the version , since I'm playing 2.6 now.

Like some other tweaks, this component is based on the assumption that the player doesn't want to abuse it.
For example, you could self-fireball in the sphere, and presumably it'll hit all the nearby enemies. It's not something that you can do accidentally, though, and there's no easy way (or more likely, no way at all) to close that possibility without disabling all spellcasting, which largely defeats the purpose of the component. So I accept it as a good tradeoff.

I guess it's because I'm kinda an absolutionist , which is why I would prefer just not being able to cast spells, but I truelly understand that you were just trying your best with what is basically hardcodded I guess.

Just wondering, (not requesting you do this) would it be possible to like manually input a list of spell codes for specific spells that would just miscast if you tried to cast them within the globe.

Or another possibility, what if the Sphere just Dispelled on casting any offensive related spell , or if any damage came to an enemy from the caster after the sphere is erected sorta like sanctuary.
Attachments
weidu.zip
(13.56 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

TheDraikenWeare wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:02 pm Just wondering, (not requesting you do this) would it be possible to like manually input a list of spell codes for specific spells that would just miscast if you tried to cast them within the globe.
No.
TheDraikenWeare wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:02 pm Or another possibility, what if the Sphere just Dispelled on casting any offensive related spell , or if any damage came to an enemy from the caster after the sphere is erected sorta like sanctuary.
Not that I know of.
TheDraikenWeare wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:02 pm @Magus I've linked my weidu.log if that will help.
Will need more than that. Actual steps to reproduce, screenshots, or maybe a video if possible.
Please do not PM or email me about my mods and projects. Use forums. Also, see our talk channels.
TheDraikenWeare

@Magus sorry for the slow reply.

I screen recorded but can't upload somthing larger than 4mb here so I posted it to Youtube.

Here's the link.
TheDraikenWeare

Also I think I found a solution to the issue after asking different modders around.

A paticular modder told me that to cancel out her own spell she added, she just went through all the specific Wizard and cleric spells she wanted to cancel that spell and added a line to cancel out her mod added spell when they were cast.

So that seems like a doable solution, obviously it would be tedious to go through every spell from fire ball to summon rabbits , but it would be cool to finally close that loop hole.

As I said I'm not a modder or anything, but if you really do feel you were too busy to do it, I would be willing, if shown properly how to under your allowance ofcourse, since it is your mod.
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

TheDraikenWeare wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:15 am I screen recorded but can't upload somthing larger than 4mb here so I posted it to Youtube.

That's cool. Could you move away the rest of the party from the shielded character, to confirm that her visual range is not reduced?
TheDraikenWeare wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:12 am A paticular modder told me that to cancel out her own spell she added, she just went through all the specific Wizard and cleric spells she wanted to cancel that spell and added a line to cancel out her mod added spell when they were cast.

I really have no idea what you're talking about. Please link the conversation and I'll review it.
TheDraikenWeare

@Magus

Here (unfortunately the recording program cause it to lag abit for some reason)

The conversation was on the gibberlings3 discord.
Its the last conversation so far as of me typing this. But if something else has been discussed, then you can just search my name , since it's the same there.
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

TheDraikenWeare wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:43 am Here (unfortunately the recording program cause it to lag abit for some reason)
No, I meant to just move everyone else to another part of the map, to confirm that visual range of the target is unchanged. A screenshot should be enough.

TheDraikenWeare wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:43 am Its the last conversation so far as of me typing this. But if something else has been discussed, then you can just search my name , since it's the same there.
I saw the conversation, the idea of littering all spells with a canceling effect should work (in fact, Sensible Spins work similarly). It shouldn've be even too hard to do, probably wouldn't need to list each one manually.
But I still don't lilke it. Mainly conceptually, but there are technical issues to be considered too:
  1. This basically means at will canceling. That's dramatically different from original spell, where if you're in, you're in, for the full duration. Dynamics are different, usage is different. And I don't think it's very PnP, as a DM, I wouldn't allow it.
  2. You also have to explain somehow the fact that friendly version of the spell can be dispelled at will, while hostile one can't (and there will some extra complexity separating the two, but that's doable).
To summarize, it should be possible, but it's not going to be as simple as listing all spells. There's going to be coding involved. And I'm not interested in working on it nor having it in this mod at all.
If you really want this, I recommend packaging a micromod of your own. This is actually a good, sizable scope for getting familiarized with IE modding.

TheDraikenWeare

@Magus

No, I meant to just move everyone else to another part of the map, to confirm that visual range of the target is unchanged. A screenshot should be enough.

So like the one below?

1. This basically means at will canceling. That's dramatically different from original spell, where if you're in, you're in, for the full duration. Dynamics are different, usage is different. And I don't think it's very PnP, as a DM, I wouldn't allow it.

• You also have to explain somehow the fact that friendly version of the spell can be dispelled at will, while hostile one can't (and there will some extra complexity separating the two, but that's doable).

I mean don't enemy NPCs use the same spells , so wouldn't it apply to them as well. I mean there doesn't have to be a real separation between the two , it can just be explained that offensive spells overload it , I guess.

To summarize, it should be possible, but it's not going to be as simple as listing all spells. There's going to be coding involved. And I'm not interested in working on it nor having it in this mod at all.
If you really want this, I recommend packaging a micromod of your own. This is actually a good, sizable scope for getting familiarized with IE modding.

I understand that you don't want to do this and I'm willing.
So could you point me in the right direction so I can get started on what to read up on to do this , because I'm practically know zero when it comes to all this.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230920-160511_Baldur's Gate II.jpg
Screenshot_20230920-160511_Baldur's Gate II.jpg (1021.56 KiB) Viewed 3597 times