Version 9.4 - feedback

Unlimited party, improved damage formula, better healing system, comprehensive highlighting and more.
Sting

Version 9.4 - feedback

Post by Sting »

First of all, thank you for the new damage formula (and all the other fo2tweaks). It's also nice to know that there're other hardcore Fallout2 players that prefer to play the game ironman-style. Since we play the same way, and also because your (non-cheat) tweaks are logical and balanced (even if you say that "this is not an attempt to balance, just to make sense"), I hope you'll be interested in some of my propositions concerning fo2tweaks.

I also attach my Excel sheet ("_FAQ_Resurrection.xls") that may help you a bit:
  1. with "Fo2Tweaks - changes": (6.2) -> page "Dmg_mod"
  2. with "Fo2Tweaks - additions": (5) -> pages "Char" (cell R20) and "Health"
  3. if you intend to play "Fallout 1.5: Resurrection" (has a simple character planner and some tips)
P.S. Sorry for not posting propositions directly in the forum - there's a lot of formatting that may be lost that way. The best way to read it is to use some text editor with basic syntax highlighting for variables (for example, SciTe + Lua highlighting).
Last edited by Sting on Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magus
Site Admin

Feedback (Version 9.4)

Post by Magus »

Thank for constructive and well-structured feedback. There are some valid points, some suggestions that I like and some I don't, and not everything is doable anyway... Unfortunately, I think if I address them all in a single post, it's going to turn into a wall of text. I suggest splitting them and making a topic per component, or something like that.
Bugs may be submitted directly to github.

(PHPBB doesn't have a proper wysiwyg editor, I've been thinking about migrating to another forum engine because of that - you can make a suggestion about that as well, in the corresponding section).

To answer the questions, at least:
1.1) Doesn't matter (but remember that only firearms are affected by FO2tweaks. Other weapons will use your DamageFormula setting).
1.2) Yes, Better Criticals one is actually a bug, I didn't think of that. I believe Heavy Handed works properly in vanilla as well.
1.3) That's correct. I tried to explain that clearly, but if you have a suggestion to improve the wording, I'm all ears.
And regarding instakill, enemies can't really have perks, so this shouldn't be a concern.

Party Orders is a separate mod, I opened a topic for that.
Please do not PM or email me about my mods and projects. Use forums. Also, see our talk channels.
Sting

Feedback (Version 9.4)

Post by Sting »

Magus wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:19 pmUnfortunately, I think if I address them all in a single post, it's going to turn into a wall of text. I suggest splitting them and making a topic per component, or something like that.
Honestly, I wasn't expecting any answers (except for questions) or debates about my suggestions. I though that if you had any questions yourself, you would ask them here. Plus splitting my text into many topics would kinda spam the forum. But ok.

Magus wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:19 pmBugs may be submitted directly to github.
I hope you won't mind if I duplicate them in my topics.

Magus wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:19 pmPHPBB doesn't have a proper wysiwyg editor, I've been thinking about migrating to another forum engine because of that - you can make a suggestion about that as well, in the corresponding section
No suggestions here. The're only 2 problems with this forum version:
  1. no way to use {list} without it adding additional empty strings (line spacing - just like above this string);
  2. no way to use indenting (to simulate TABbing in sublists): {space}{/space} and {span} {/span} don't work here.
So I'll just use {code}{/code} tags.

Magus wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:19 pm1.2) Yes, Better Criticals one is actually a bug, I didn't think of that.
I think it's better that way, since instakill criticals are pretty overpowered. So if there's a bit less of them, it makes Sniper perk a bit more balanced.

Magus wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:19 pmI believe Heavy Handed works properly in vanilla as well.
I'm not sure myself since I've never picked that trait. And I don't remember if it has been discussed on NMA forums. Maybe it's just a myth.

Magus wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:19 pm1.3) That's correct. I tried to explain that clearly, but if you have a suggestion to improve the wording, I'm all ears.
Maybe something like this (although it would be better to ask English native speaker to rephrase it):

Code: Select all

; normally "Combat Difficulty" setting in the game options determines both enemies' (AI, Chance to Hit) and their (Damage Multiplier)
; this setting allows to decouple them - if enabled, game option won't affect enemy damage:
; 0: no change, vanilla behaviour (Damage, ToHit and AI are affected by in-game "Combat Difficulty" setting)
; [1-3]: enemy Damage is affected by this setting [1: wimpy (75%), 2: normal (100%), 3: rough (125%)]
damage_difficulty=2