Problem with gecko skinning

Unlimited party, improved damage formula, better healing system, comprehensive highlighting and more.
MYL_F2

Problem with gecko skinning

Post by MYL_F2 »

Hey, Magus, I presume you are the mod author of FO2tweaks? I don't know if you're still developing, or even still monitoring this page, but I've got a bug for you.

My mod setup is normally: FO2 -> Restoration Project -> ECCO Rebalance for RP -> FO2tweaks -> Custom Perks
But when I encountered the bug I went back to: FO2 -> Restoration Project
Followed by: FO2 -> Restoration Project -> FO2tweaks
So I can confirm installing your mod causes the issue.

The bug is that when a party member other than the player character kills a gecko, the gecko skinning perk does not function, and the gecko does not drop it's hide in it's inventory. When the player character is the one to strike the final blow, the hide drops as intended.
I have enabled controlling party members via ddraw.ini, but whether that is enabled or not does not seem to affect the bug.

I haven't used git in a long time, so I've forgotten my credentials. When I find them, I'll try to create a new issue there like you say to do on the git page for your mod, but in the meantime, here are some pastebin links with the files requested on your git page (they'll last a month).

fo2tweaks.bat.log: https://pastebin.com/xDVuaKav
fo2tweaks.log: https://pastebin.com/Suaf6an9
WeiDU.log: https://pastebin.com/0uFwfUZz
Magus
Site Admin

Re: FO2tweaks

Post by Magus »

On the contrary, this is one forum I check regularly.

My usual setup is pretty much the same - RP+EcCo+FO2tweaks. I can't reproduce the issue, though. Anyway, this is strange, because FO2tweaks don't touch geckos or perks in any way. The logs seem normal.
I see that you have 9 components installed. Can you try to bisect and determine which one seems to be causing it? Also, which sfall version do you use?
...And check that your party members have the perk when you're controlling them.
Please do not PM or email me about my mods and projects. Use forums. Also, see our talk channels.
MYL_F2

Post by MYL_F2 »

Looks like you got it right straight away.

When using only the Restoration Project, my party members have the gecko skinning perk, even when I'm controlling them.
After I add your mod, they do not have the perk when I'm controlling them.
Something your mod does removes/blocks the perk from party members, apparently.

Regarding sfall, I'm not sure as I just slap on the latest version of RP and play away, but the included sfall-readme.txt states: "version 3.3, built for fallout 2 v1.02 US"

By bisect, do you mean install each component one at a time and test?

Edit: I just tried to use your .bat to uninstall the components like it says to do in the readme, but while it removed the installed gameplay elements and whatnot, it did not fix the gecko situation (party members still did not have the perk when controlled). So I'd have to do a clean install/reset to check each component.
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

By bisecting, I mean install half of the components, then half of the remanining half, etc. Faster than doing one by one. But if uninstall doesn't work for you, the only option is going one at a time, yes. Although it should uninstall cleanly, not sure what's plaguing your installation.
So what'd I do is
1) Make a clean install (+RP, Ecco)
2) Verify that bug is absent and party members have the perk in their character sheet
3) Make a backup of that install
4) Copy over ddraw.dll from fo2tweaks/components/sfall into main game directory, overwriting. Check for the bug. That'll rule out sfall (or not).
5) Install components one by one, testing each. Savegames are compatible, so that shouldn't take too long.
Please do not PM or email me about my mods and projects. Use forums. Also, see our talk channels.
MYL_F2

Post by MYL_F2 »

Okay, so I got the uninstall working. Not sure why it didn't work before, but testing complete.

Swapping the ddraw.ini changed nothing.

I have determined which components, of the nine I use, cause the problem.
There are two which are the "inventory filter" and "general game speedup".
Party members did not have the perk when either of those components were enabled.
All other seven components had my party members keep the perk.

Mind you, I only tested the nine components I would normally install, the ones listed in the earlier logs, the others are unkown to me.
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

It's ddraw.dll.
I'm pretty sure that you're wrong about game speedup, it just changes some settings. You can do the same manually and check.
As for for inventory filter, it does install new sfall (ddraw.dll), and probably that's where the problem lies. Try standalone version. It newer, and more advanced, although it doesn't actually filter items, but sorts them instead.
I hope to reconcile the versions at some point, but that waits on a larger project in the works.
MYL_F2

Post by MYL_F2 »

Well, I'm not sure what to tell you, but speedup definitely causes the problem as well.
I clean reset FO2 + RP, my party members kept the perk.
I then installed on top only the speedup, perk removed.
I uninstalled the speedup, the perk came back.

I also replaced the .dll (the right one this time, haha) while the speedup was installed, didn't make a difference.

I tried your standalone, I don't think it's installing properly for me. It says the advanced version might not work on older version of sfall, so I tried both to be sure, and I can't get the panel to appear. It mentions using ctrl and middle click for functionality, but nothing I do seems to do anything.

I drop the installer in my FO2 folder, run it, select the version I want, install, enable unsafe scripting, and finish. Am I missing something?
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

Replacing dll has to be tried before installing anything.
MYL_F2

Post by MYL_F2 »

Okay, so, this time:

Uninstalled Everything -> Installed F2 -> Replaced .dll -> Installed RP -> Installed Problem -> New Game -> Test -> Next Problem, Uninstalled Everything...
- Both problematic components still removed the perk.
- Tried both version of the standalone filter, still no panel.

Then, just to be sure I didn't misunderstand, I switched step 3 and 4:

Uninstalled Everything -> Installed F2 -> Installed RP -> *THEN* replaced the .dll -> etc...
- Both problematic components still removed the perk.
- Tried both version of the standalone filter, still no panel.

If you haven't given up, on the off chance it matters, specs:
Windows 8.1 64 bit
i7 3630qm
AMD 7670m
Fallout 2 via Steam

I'll try manually changing the settings as you suggested above, because while the filter would be nice, if I can get just the speedup plus the already functioning components going, I can certainly live with that.
This is turning out to be a giant headache, probably for both of us, haha.
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

So after copying the new dll from FO2tweaks, but before installing actual components, did the issue manifest or not?