Missing source files for UPU, RPU

Crowdsourcing mods translations.
charlesdexterward

Missing source files for UPU, RPU

Post by charlesdexterward »

I noticed that "game/pipboy.msg" is missing in Weblate for UPU and RPU (but not for Fixt). 
It was included in the past, as you can see in the commit history. 
I've not found a quick method to determine if other files are also missing.

edit: Looking at pipboy.msg again: it has many single line strings that often can not be translated accurately line by line.
Is that the reason you took it out?
Magus
Site Admin

Re: Missing source files for UPU, RPU

Post by Magus »

It's just that one file, see config.

The reason is, unlike pretty much all other text in the game, pipboy.msg is sensitive to formatting. In other files, a line is normally a self sufficient translation unit. In pipboy.msg, they wrote huge paragraphs, and split them into lines based on width. It would pretty much impossible to translate it line by line and have it look good in game.

One way to work around that would be to add spefical handling of the file into msg2po. It would parse it, re-assemble paragraphs, present each paragraph as a single unit to translators, and then dump the resulting translation into msg, disassembling paragraphs back into lines. That would involve counting characters per line, as well as possibly taking into account fonts used for the language, because character width may vary.

Needless to say, it would be complicated enough, and it's just one file, so very likely not worth it.
Updates to pipboy.msg can be sent directly with github pull requests.
Please do not PM or email me about my mods and projects. Use forums. Also, see our talk channels.
charlesdexterward

Re: Missing source files for UPU, RPU

Post by charlesdexterward »

As I suspected. Thanks for the quick reply!