Announcements

Crowdsourcing mods translations.
Magus
Site Admin

Announcements

Post by Magus »

This topic will serve as a source of announcements for changes in translation system and/or converter tools, which require user action, and/or result in some service interruption.

Modders: subscribe to be notified when you need to update your github actions configuration, hooks, etc. (Which hopefully will be very rare, if happens at all.)
Please do not PM or email me about my mods and projects. Use forums. Also, see our talk channels.
Magus
Site Admin

Re: Announcements

Post by Magus »

A major upgrade is coming soon. It's been in the works for a while, there's a lot of changes, including updates to converters, female translations, github flows, etc.
It is long overdue, as the old version has been keeping us back on a number of issues. And while not everything in the new version is as perfect as I'd like it to be, I think the change is worth it.

The process
- The upgrade itself will take a few days, during which the system will not be available.
- After that, there will be a period of beta testing, also a few days. During beta testing, only selected users will be able to access the system to test it for issues.
- Beta test results will determine whether we keep the new version or roll back and try again later.
- Any translations submitted during beta test will not make into repositories if rollback is chosen, so no reason to go overboard, just try enough to understand whether it works well.

Modders
No translations will be sent to the repositories during upgrade and beta test. After the test, certain changes to github actions will be needed, which will be detailed later.

Translators
To get beta test access, ask on forums or in chat channels.
Please do not PM or email me about my mods and projects. Use forums. Also, see our talk channels.
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

Upgrade has started.
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

beta test is open
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

Open access test: https://hive.bgforge.net
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

Upgrade completed.
Took longer than anticipated, and there were some hiccups, but eventually everything worked out.

Aside from the obvious facelift, there are some notable changes.

Translators:
- Github and Google oauth now work again.
- Female translation implementation changed, now female strings are shown separately in the UI, with links between male and female.
- Machine translation now includes DeepL. Their free limit is about 500k characters per month. A dedicated translator would burn through that in no time, so use responsibly, try to avoid opening auto translation tab when you don't need it.

Modders:
- Update hook urls to hive.bgforge.net.
- PO file processing is offloaded to github actions now. Refer to action documentation to see how to set it up for your mod.
- The updated msg2po toolset now supports loading translations from translation files repeatedly. This means that the restriction of having strictly one-way translation flow is lifted. You can have them flow 2 ways. 3 ways, in fact, if you count editing PO files directly.
  This mode is new and not tested much. In addition, obviously it may lead to some conflicts and/or discrepancies. Not recommended by default. Enable at your own discretion, using dir2msgstr action setting.
  Direct local PO file translation is a safer choice and will work regardless of dir2msgstr setting.