RPU v26 Maps Updated

Updated versions of killap's Unofficial Patch and Restoration Project.
phobos2077

Re: RPU v26 Maps Updated

Post by phobos2077 »

So did you have the chance to review those maps? I'm a little concerned about original game's maps being tweaked/changed. I think RP vision was to stay close to vanilla so close that it would feel like BIS did it. Wouldn't changing old maps break this expectation?
sfall contributor, author of EcCo mod
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

I didn't. NovaRain and Lexx perform(ed) playthroughs, so we'll see I guess.
I'm also not too keen on changing original maps, mostly due to increased maintenance burden with differences between UPU/RPU.
Please do not PM or email me about my mods and projects. Use forums. Also, see our talk channels.
phobos2077

Post by phobos2077 »

Do you have any plans on merging updated maps into the main RPU branch?

I wanted to update EcCo, and since it did change maps for balance reasons (mostly removing items from containers), I'll have to re-do all my changes. Wanted to make sure these maps are in stable state before that.
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

No.
It might've been easier to consider if it was a number for smaller commits, properly itemized and documented. But it's just a huge blob of changes.
Please do not PM or email me about my mods and projects. Use forums. Also, see our talk channels.
phobos2077

Post by phobos2077 »

Magus wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:20 pm No.
It might've been easier to consider if it was a number for smaller commits, properly itemized and documented. But it's just a huge blob of changes.

What kind of documentation do you need to consider merging that into main? From what Pixote wrote and others who tested his changes, he only seriously overhauled one map (EPA) and in others he just removed some extra clutter for consistency. Considering he's the one who made those maps in the first place, it seems natural to have these changes as part of the RPU.

NovaRain did a playtest (ongoing) of these maps, and I could probably just make a branch comparison and look at the maps (since I'll have to do that anyway, to make sure loot is balanced).
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

I don't know...
I have no issue with overhauling EPA. It's all the other maps that concern me.
I'm not sure, "consistency" with what that is.
I would pick just EPA, but that's impossible due to massive changes to scenery, tiles, walls, protos as well.
Pixote did create the EPA map, not the other 150+ changed maps.
Feel free to compare the branches and see what's what.
phobos2077

Post by phobos2077 »

I just merged master into map branch (no conflicts at all) and created PR to merge everything back. I propose to discuss on github:
https://github.com/BGforgeNet/Fallout2_ ... t/pull/197
.Pixote.

Post by .Pixote. »

Magus wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:06 am I don't know...
I have no issue with overhauling EPA. It's all the other maps that concern me.
I'm not sure, "consistency" with what that is.
I would pick just EPA, but that's impossible due to massive changes to scenery, tiles, walls, protos as well.
Pixote did create the EPA map, not the other 150+ changed maps.
Feel free to compare the branches and see what's what.

Actually I did almost all of the maps for Killap back in the day. A few locations where built by others (The Abbey - some of the EPA) and I didn't mess with them too much, I didn't want to step on anyone's toes. As for all of the changes to the base maps, I changed them all. And over time I wasn't happy with some of the changes, hench why I re-worked them. 

The new RPU v26 map changes are superior to the original RP maps, but that doesn't mean they're bug free. The canisters on the EPA were meant to be removed before I uploaded the maps, they were there for testing only.  

Writing up a list of changes for the bulk of the maps is unnecessary - most changes are small (for instance all of the small rocks in the caves are been removed to make a cleaner, closer to the original maps look).  Same for the random city maps (less crap on the ground, closer to the original maps). Really just the Abbey and the EPA have been altered enough for a description. 

Trust me Magus I know these maps better than anyone and the old RP maps needed to be improved. The people who play RPU wont be dissapointed. 
phobos2077

Post by phobos2077 »

FYI I uploaded the updated map branch as a separate mod on Nexus:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout2/mods/73/

It also includes all the bug fixes NovaRain did after he did a complete run of the game with the new maps, as well as the latest changes from RPU master branch.
.Pixote.

Post by .Pixote. »

I've been testing RPU 28 with the improved maps, and have come across more than a few game crashes and they are all very consistent. Interacting with certain characters or objects crash the game - and Kaga also crashes the game. 

I'll play out the game completely and report back.