RPU v26 Maps Updated

Updated versions of killap's Unofficial Patch and Restoration Project.
.Pixote.

RPU v26 Maps Updated

Post by .Pixote. »

Hello gentlemen

I assisted Killap back in the day on the original version of the Restoration Project, my area of assistance was with the artwork and mapping. All those who found the "updated" maps crap you can blame me.  :mrgreen:  

Anyway that was 12+ years ago and since then I have worked on Mutants Rising, and have improved my map making capability over the years...anyway I have never been happy with the map work with the Restoration Project and decided to go back and clean up much of the junk that made the maps too cluttered.  So over the last few months I have updated all the map and improved them. During the making of Mutants Rising I built hundreds of new tiles (all built from the original artworks) and have added a number to the Restoration Project. These changes are fairly subtle, nothing too unnatural for the Fallout setting, but the world will look slightly different, but in a good way.

One location I was really unhappy with was the EPA, especially the ground level, and the 2 elevation (maintenance level). Now I was young and dumb and built a shit map, but I have redeemed my sin and rebuilt the ground level map, and fixed the maintenance level so it's not too over the top. But I need some assistance, I have no scripting capability and need someone to finish the maps scripts, update them. The rebuilt map is based on the original map, but certain scripts need adjusting to make the map work properly. 

*The current elevator that takes the player down to the underground level needs to be replaced with a rustier version (same art, just a dirty copy).

*The spatial script in front of the elevator needs to be checked to work correctly.  

*The opening position for the player character needs to be relocated (the map is much smaller than the current version)  and they start off the map!

I'm hoping to have everything ready for the next release of the RPU, but even if RPU isn't interested in using the new map I would be grateful for any assistance, even if it's for my own personal playthroughs of Fallout 2...they do look a lot cleaner and refined over the current RP maps.

Thanks  - .Pixote.
Magus
Site Admin

Re: RPU v26 Maps Updated

Post by Magus »

I can update the scripts if necessary, but have no saves to test.
Why do you list elevator art as a script change?
Please do not PM or email me about my mods and projects. Use forums. Also, see our talk channels.
.Pixote.

Post by .Pixote. »

The elevator just requires an art change, but I suspect the script is referring to the individual scenery artwork. I changed the artwork to the rusty elevator and applied the same script but it didn't work.  The artwork is the broken elevator, which is replaced with the broken elevator with the rope  - same as Vault 15 from Fallout 1.

The Abbey has had a major overhaul, and for whatever reason the merchant doesn't react to the player character anymore. There's a few small issues like that, but I need to test the game with a proper play through to check each map and player interactions. 

I will have to pass you the entire data folder  - maps/scripts/artwork/protos, etc...because there is a lot of new stuff.   
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

That's strange. The same script is supposed to work the same, regardless of the art.

You didn't mention Abbey before. And why there are changes to protos?

Let's keep stuff compartmentalized - one location at a time.

Please do not PM or email me about my mods and projects. Use forums. Also, see our talk channels.
.Pixote.

Post by .Pixote. »

I added 200+ new tiles to the game, as well as a few new scenery artworks and new walls. I have cleaned up some of the crappy elements in the original Restoration project, such as the coloured floor tiles in the various level in the EPA (yellow, blue, green, etc). I have tried a new approach that looks better, and blends into the game. The EPA glass house roof tile set has been replaced, as well as the EPA roof tile set.  

The only location that needs scripting fixes seems to be the EPA ground level. I'm testing ATM and other areas that played strangely in the mapper seem to work properly in game. 

One thing to note is I made new forcefield animations (think of the yellow fields at the Hubologists in San Francisco) and there are certain locations in the game with the same forcefield's that will require script adjustments for the animation to run correctly. They currently use scripts that require the player to use science on them to disable them and not the animate forever script. 

As for the Abbey, I just cleaned up a lot of junk that cluttered the location, all of the main elements remain untouched - buildings, critters, etc. 

When I've finished checking I'll pass the files to you for you to work on, but the EPA is the main priority.  With a game with this many element there's always something that get forgotten, that's life.   
.Pixote.

Post by .Pixote. »

Noticed a mistake with the world map. WRLDMP16.frm is the wrong file, it's the original brownish image, instead of the new blueish colour made for the RP.  rpu_enhanced_worldmap.dat will need fixing. 

.Pixote.

Post by .Pixote. »

The maps are finished, EPA ground level is the only map that will need scripting. I'll organise the files and pass them on. 
.Pixote.

Post by .Pixote. »

Magus - here is the files for the EPA. https://www.mediafire.com/file/8tyw67ny ... 6.rar/file

The new artwork is a mixture of new and adjusted old art. These files will screw the maps on the official RPU2.6 maps, because the tile artwork has been remade and adjusted for the new maps. Many old tile files have been replaced, the new files that replace them are new to the Restoration Project. 

But these files will work for the new EPA maps. 

As mentioned before these are the things that need fixing. 
*The current elevator that takes the player down to the underground level needs to be replaced with a rustier version (same art, just a dirty copy).

*The spatial script in front of the elevator needs to be checked to work correctly.  

*The opening position for the player character needs to be relocated (the map is much smaller than the current version)  and they start off the map (the blue tile). The new position is on the red tile at the bottom of the map. The player direction should face the opening in the wall just north of the player.
The needed artwork for the elevator is on elevation 1 just above the scene. One quests in the EPA requires the player to kill the spore plants on the ground level, the original quest wanted the player to test a weapon and kill 20+ plants, I have reduced the number to 10, so the script will require adjusting.  

After the fixes are complete I'll test the all the maps with a game playthrough and then pass them to you for testing. If you like it add it to the next release of RPU. 

Cheers...Pixote.  8-)
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

Mapper is killing me. I don't know how to put two objects on the same hex.
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

OK, NovaRain fixed the map, and I updated quest script. Build is here https://github.com/BGforgeNet/Fallout2_ ... 2523956725.
When you get to testing, probably better to attach pre-map saves here, so other people can test too.