Questions and a suggestion

A collection of tweaks, cheats and common sense changes.
cdds

Questions and a suggestion

Post by cdds »

Hi Magus, thanks for your amazing tweaks mod! I have a few questions about it:
  1. Any specific pointers on install order, particularly in relation to other popular tweak mods like Tweaks Anthology or aTweaks?
  2. I saw there were several bugfix commits on your github master since the last official release. Is the current master stable to use (and recommended over v8.8), and/or are you planning another official release soon(ish)?
  3. (More a suggestion that a question) what's up with the "PR" for this mod?  :D  I have been playing and modding IE games for years and stumbled onto your tweaks mod only today, more or less by accident (through a BGEE modlist on a polish website). I think the scope of your tweaks is fantastic and some of them are very innovative and unique, e.g. the Traps component. I'm sure lots of people would be very interested in your mod and eager to try it out; if they only knew it existed. Would you be interested in "promoting" the existence of your tweaks mod (and possibly your other IE mods) on boards like the beamdog forum or the Gibberlings3 forum? If you are not a fan of the effort it takes to create "attractive" threads/topics, i would be willing to help out with this, if you wish
Magus
Site Admin

Re: Questions and a suggestion

Post by Magus »

1. Nothing specific, common sense applies. For example, if you use WTPfamiliars, then TnT familiars component should go after. Or, Improved Traps should go after mods that add areas and/or modify traps in existing ones.
2. I pushed a new release.
3. Well, it's just that I don't frequent other forums. And TnT is just one of many BGforge projects. If I had a nickel for mantaining a topic on each modding forum for each mod, I'd have ... a lot of nickels. One of the reasons to run this site is that time saved on lurking is time I can spend actually working.
  I think TnT should appear in Project Infinity, though. And the mods are still mentioned here and there on various forums.
  You're welcome to create topics elsewhere, and/or promote them however you wish. If you share the links, I'll likely be able to post updates there. However, I won't be actively tracking those topics, support only goes in this forum, for the reasons stated above.
Please do not PM or email me about my mods and projects. Use forums. Also, see our talk channels.
cdds

Post by cdds »

Thanks for the quick reply and version bump! I will think about creating a topic to raise awareness of your mod(s) on the Beamdog forums. It feels a strange to do this as a 3rd party, but if i have your blessing i may go ahead anyway.
By the way, do you know to which degree other modders are using Golem and/or Happy IE? There may be the same problem as with your mods at work, a simple lack of awareness... It's hard to see why most IE modders would not use this infrastructure, assuming they are aware it exists in the first place.
I agree with your point about the IE modding scene being too fragmented and spread thin over many different sites and communities. This is certainly a weakness of this scene in particular...
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

No one is using Golem except me. Not sure about Happy, but probably the same.
Why? Well, I can only speculate, but I think mostly because people just hate trying and learning new things.
Still, time spent on both of them more than paid off on existing BGforge mods.

So... same deal. If you think that it's people would benefit from using these, feel free to raise topics or whatever. (Although I assume you'd want to actually try things yourself first before advising to others - both mods and tools).
Please do not PM or email me about my mods and projects. Use forums. Also, see our talk channels.
cdds

Post by cdds »

Yes, you are right. I will do a full playthrough with Tweaks and Tricks before opening any threads about it  ;)
Nevertheless, i think you are selling your work short by not promoting it anywhere. It really deserves more recognition!
cdds

Post by cdds »

Bug report: the Returning Throwing Dagger added by the Hassle-free ammo component is not adding strengh modifier (missing flag)
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

I know. It's by design. I don't think normal throwing daggers got strength bonuses.
cdds

Post by cdds »

Magus wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:11 am I know. It's by design. I don't think normal throwing daggers got strength bonuses.
They do, ever since EE patch 1.3 or 2.0 (not sure). All throwing daggers (non-magic and magic) get strength bonuses in BGEE and BG2EE apart from your returning dagger, which makes it pretty useless :D
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

I see. I don't play EEs, so...
My view is, this isn't a good change. I think PnP doesn't give that bonus, nor does Fixpack?

My house rule would be that axes/hammers get 50% of STR damage bonus when thrown, and the daggers/darts get nothing. But I don't see a way to implement it in BG2, so a TnT component gives full bonus to axes/hammers.
I could add daggers to it as a separate subcomponent. And/or detect EE and give the bonus to the new dagger. I'm not sure just yet.
cdds

Post by cdds »

Is it possible to detect whether the component is installed on EE or classic versions of the game(s) and give the STR bonus in the former case but not in the latter? Mostly to make the dagger consistent with all other throwing daggers in the respective games