Baldur's Gate: Arcane Spells List

Restored PlayItHardcore wiki.
Flashburn

Post by Flashburn »

Classic and EE badges would be very cool, immediately calling to attention the differences between the two.
Flashburn

Post by Flashburn »

Thanks for the icons, they're pretty slick! I added them to the arcane and divine spells sections.
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

Yeah... I didn't quite finish what I wanted yet, though. I'd prefer to stick them into a template, and have better formatting (and an option to change centrally, if needed).
I'm also thinking about playing with icon sizes, x48 might be too big.
And I'm looking for a good way to specify exact version information.

Please refrain from using it yet, at least until it's templated.
Please do not PM or email me about my mods and projects. Use forums. Also, see our talk channels.
Flashburn

Post by Flashburn »

Whoops... I already put them just about everywhere it was relevant. I thought they looked pretty nice although I guess I can agree that they're slightly too large. I'll update every place I put the icons once you're finished, in case they need to be rearranged or something.
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

Sure. But if you have any idea how to specify versions properly, let me know.
Please do not PM or email me about my mods and projects. Use forums. Also, see our talk channels.
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

OK, I finally wrestled mediawiki into displaying something with which I'm more or less happy. See example here. Usage described here

It'd probably be good to also add some Alternative/Disputing opinion badge(s), I'm thinking about good icons for that. If you have an idea, share.
Flashburn

Post by Flashburn »

Filling in the version part of the template causes the version number to appear off-center from below the icon, and pushes the description of the entry towards the right side.

I messed around a little and it seems all it took to fix was a <center> </center> before and after the version number. Adding that in there makes the version number correctly centered and does not push the description text to the right side. I'll add that to the template and modify the existing game icons where relevant.

And as far as an Alternative Opinion icon goes, I have no idea what to use for a picture. But if you need to make an image with "Alternative Opinion" text written in it, I'd suggest using the Sherwood font, since it's very Baldur's Gate styled.

http://www.dafont.com/sherwood.font?tex ... dcore+Wiki
Magus
Site Admin

Post by Magus »

<center> tag is deprecated, I wouldn't use it now. I believe I got the same solution by centering the images instead. Let me know if there are any issues with that.

As a side note, please do keep html strictly in templates. Actual pages should contain wikitext, tables and templates. I spent a lot of time recovering actual text, because it was all messed up in the archives. So I would really prefer to keep it machine readable now.
The more templates, the better!

And thanks for the font, it's very similar to BG one indeed. I don't think I'll use it for the badge, but it'll definitely have some use.
Magus
Site Admin

Re: Baldur's Gate: Arcane Spells List

Post by Magus »

Flashburn wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:54 am A bit late but yes, Protection from Evil properly checks alignment in the EEs if you turn on the "Extra Combat Info" option in Baldur.lua.
I'm pretty sure that PfE doesn't check the alignment in all Classic Editions, not only BG1, is that not the case?
Flashburn

Re: Baldur's Gate: Arcane Spells List

Post by Flashburn »

Magus wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:03 pm
Flashburn wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:54 am A bit late but yes, Protection from Evil properly checks alignment in the EEs if you turn on the "Extra Combat Info" option in Baldur.lua.
I'm pretty sure that PfE doesn't check the alignment in all Classic Editions, not only BG1, is that not the case?
Checking my copy of classic BG2+ToB with NearInfinity, it operates the same way as it does in the EEs. It gives Opcode 219 to the caster, which is set to MASK_EVIL under ALIGNMENT.IDS (i.e. works against anything with Evil in their alignment). Opcode 219 itself is what gives the -2 THAC0 penalty to evil creatures trying to hit the caster (so its basically +2 AC vs evil) and also applies the +2 save bonus vs. evil to the caster. This AC and save bonus amount cannot be specified, so it always gives +2.

These threads are my evidence:
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/c ... ent_212542
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/c ... ent_854543
The first one confirms that PfE hasn't changed how it works since classic BG2. The second one confirms the saving throw bonuses vs. evil work, and make sure to check the rest of the thread for what people were speculating upon before thar_thaazdhen did some testing. If you wish to do your own testing, the "Extra Combat Info" option in baldur.lua I mentioned works for the EEs, while classic BG2 requires ToBex to be installed to turn it on.

As for how PfE worked in classic BG1, I have no idea. I don't own a copy of it, though I would guess that NearInfinity would still work with classic BG1 if you want to check.